[NCLUG] Netscape Instability

Doug Holland meldroc at frii.com
Mon Nov 20 19:30:56 MST 2000

On Monday 20 November 2000 03:02 pm, you wrote:

> I tried the netscape 6 download the other day but twernt no good for
> me. The netscape launcher script calls another one (run_mozilla.sh or
> some such name) and then it dumps core. So I'll wait for KRUD to
> include a 2.0 version of the KDE Konquerer. Or the Gnome
> Whatever-the-heck.

Speaking of Konqueror, I installed KDE 2.0, and I've found Konqueror to
be good enough to use as my primary browser.  It has handled 98% of the
sites I surf nicely (somtimes fonts and layout are screwed up.)  I have
yet to see it crash and it comes with a built in cookie muncher.  (The
first time you get a cookie from a particular domain, it asks you if
you want to accept it or reject it, just this once or forever, and it
remembers afterwards.)  It handles style sheets, much of the
Javascript/ECMAScript out there, and has a hook for an external Java
virtual machine, such as Blackdown's Sun JDK port (which I haven't
tried yet.)  There are still minor glitches, but it's pretty stable,
and works pretty nicely.

Doug