[NCLUG] umount cdrom when it says busy

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at alumbre-tech.com
Tue Oct 10 14:02:37 MDT 2000

paul hansen wrote:

> Hey,
>
> How can I force umount of /mnt/cdrom when it tells me the device is
> busy? No, I'm no longer in /mnt/cdrom. I remember someone showing me how
> to do something in /proc, but I can't remember what we did (2 years ago).

I'm not sure how to forcefully unmount something (aside from a
reboot), but I think you can use the fuser command to find out
what is holding it open:

   fuser /dev/cdrom

You can then kill the process holding the device open, and it will
usually let you unmount it, then.  I find some processes will open
the device, then sit in there even when you don't have anything
more than a directory open.  BASH and Netscape are good examples.