[NCLUG] Cable @home questions

Bill Thorson thorson at typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
Wed Oct 11 21:42:24 MDT 2000

nclugers,

I got @home installed (my wife wanted it) and cannot seem to get it
working.  It came with the Surfboard 3100 modem.  Since I live and work in a
Microsoft free zone so their software doesn't help me at all.

Here are my symptoms after power on:

   1) Power light flashes and then turns green.

   2) Receive light flashes and then turns green.

   3) Send light flashes and then turns green.

   4) Online light flashes, flashes, flashes, ...

If I understand things correct the modem is trying to acquire it's
IP address from the upstream DHCP server and cannot.  It this correct?
If yes then it isn't my problem, right?

I've let the modem set up my nic card via DHCP and surfed to it's
built-in web pages at http://192.168.100.1/.  All the status info
I get it this:

	Acquire Downstream Channel			Done
	Obtain Upstream Parameters			Done
	Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP		In Progress

And the logs say things like this:

	5-Warning	D520.2		DHCP Attempt# 1 BkOff: 4s Tot DSC:1
					OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0

Then I though for awhile. "Dang, does the Winders software provide DHCP
service to the modem?"  I've spend the last hour or so proving to myself
that it doesn't because, using tcpdump,  I never saw a bootp packet head
to my machine from the modem.  I did see the other direction from the
dhcpcd I was running.

What am I doing wrong?

Bill