[NCLUG] Network configuration

Quent quent at pobox.com
Wed Oct 25 21:34:07 MDT 2000

Sounds fun and cool!

FRII gave you a /26? That's a big chunk of IP space!

Now here's my 2 cents worth. Others will probably give much better
advice :-)

I wouldn't be surprised to see a P-75 firewall have idle CPU time
on a 256K line. It could also handle DNS for a few zones.

Since you don't have a large pipe to the Internet I don't think it makes
sense to build a web farm.  Why not use virtual sites on one server? Why
not build a faster machine, which could host multiple domains, and
spend way less on electricity?

Besides, how much web traffic can a 256K line handle? Remember that you
really only have 13Kbps of bandwidth and will pay extra money to FRII
for any average utilization that goes above that.  So now you're talking
about electricity, pain and hassle of multiple machines, ISP charges and
extra bandwidth utilization charges.  If you've got a bunch of domains
to web host, you might be better off going with a web hosting service
or collocation deal. On the other hand, it might just be a fun thing
to do! It all depends on what your goal is.

The "how-to's" on firewalls and ipchains are pretty helpful.  Learn as
much as you can!

I think I would put publicly accessible web servers on their own LAN
(i.e. a DMZ) and not on the same side of the firewall as my private stuff.

Make sure you have the latest DNS and don't run NFS or NIS on your
firewall or other publicly accessible machines. You might think about
using qmail or postfix instead of sendmail so you won't be caught by
the next security hole that's found :-)  Be careful with ftp too.
NIS gives me the willies.

A stock, non-firewalled, Redhat system is likely to be cracked within days
of being connected to the Internet.

With a little effort and time spent learning, you can set up
a good firewall and be pretty safe.

	Quent