[NCLUG] Network configuration

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Oct 26 18:03:15 MDT 2000

Presumably you meant:

>            <----{dsl}---------[ hub ]
>                 ^   ============|=========================
>                 |               |
>                 |               | +------+
>                DMZ              | |      |
>                 |         [firewall] [web server]
>                 |               |
>                 v   ============|=========================

Otherwise it wouldn't really be a DMZ...

>If you used port redirection, or NAT, to have a web server where I've
>shown workstations, that would work but there's a risk.  If the web
>server was cracked, they would be on a machine on your private network.

Though if the only thing that's port-forwarded was port 80, they'd be
reasonably limited in what they can do.  "Ok, now I've used the web
server to create a root-level login, now I just telnet in and...  Dang!".

 Do bad programmers wake up on Christmas morning to find coal in
 their sockets?  -- Sean Reifschneider