[NCLUG] Two easy? security questions...

Matt Clauson mec at dotorg.org
Mon Sep 4 07:32:17 MDT 2000

Since JPR fielded the second part, I'll just field the first.

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 06:18:09AM +0000, dobbster wrote:
> First of all, I cannot get "lastb" to work.  /var/log/btmp
> exists(-rw-r--r--    root root), but I get
>
> [root at dipole log]# lastb
>
> btmp begins Fri Apr 21 23:49:28 2000
>
> ...and nothing else.  "last" seems to work.

First question...  For reference, what Distro are you running?

Second:  Have you tried running 'find / -name 'btmp' -print' and seeing if
there are any more copies of that file out there?

Third:  Even though the manpage says btmp, on my Debian 2.2 box here, the
failed attempts are stored in /var/log/faillog, NOT /var/log/btmp.  When
I run a find on it, in fact, I am told that no file named btmp exists.  Of
course, that breaks the functionality of lastb....  when I link
/var/log/faillog to /var/log/btmp, however...  it seems to click again.

--Matt