[NCLUG] Planning for Demo Day/Install Fest/Test Drive, October 22nd

Matt Taggart matt at taggart.cwx.net
Sun Sep 24 23:03:15 MDT 2000

Hi NCLUGers,

It's time to start planning for our annual Install Fest/Demo Day. We have
decided to do a joint event with LUG of CSU. The fine folks from LUG of CSU
have reserved the North Ballroom of the CSU Lory Student Center for Sunday,
October 22nd. In the past we have run the event between 1pm-8pm, with setup at
~10am. I think that will work ok, comments?

For those who have not been involved in the past there are several aspects of
this event;

The first is the "Demo Day". This is where LUG members such as yourself bring
their super tricked-out Linux box(es) and show off cool Linux software, eye
candy, etc. Non-x86 architectures and frankenstein boxes get bonus points. We
need you to show off.

The second is the "Install Fest". This allows people who may be new to Linux
to bring in their computers and get expert help getting Linux installed and
configured. This isn't limited to newbie installs either. One of the most
interesting installs we did last year was installing Debian on an Alpha.  We
will have lots of distributions on hand in both CDROM and available on the
local network for net-installs. We need people to volunteer to bring monitors,
power cords, power strips, network cable, hubs, etc. to minimize the stuff
participants have to bring. We also need people to help with the installs.

This year I would like to add another feature, a "Linux Test Drive". The idea
is we provide computers for people to,

1.) sit down
2.) install a distribution they're interested in
3.) play around with it, kick the tires, etc.
4.) delete important files, leave things half installed, trash the filesystem
5.) get up and walk away

This allows people to try Linux without having to worry about trashing their
own system. It might also be nice for people who are already Linux users to
try installing a different distribution. So if you have a spare system that
you'd be willing to let some people play with we can use it. We also need
people to help with these installs and questions, etc.

The other thing I think would be neato(tm) would be to have a Linux game
"lan-party" in the evening.

We plan to do a flyer that people will be able to hang up at work give their
friends, cow-orkers, etc. We will be handing those out at the next NCLUG
meeting. If you have ideas for flyer content lets hear them.

Ok let the discussion/volunteering begin.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at taggart.cwx.net