[NCLUG] Bad question I know!

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Fri Apr 20 00:37:25 MDT 2001

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 09:29:11PM -0600, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>RPM -- well, no.  Not really.  When I want to remove Apache, I can just
>delete /usr/local/apache -- cuz I made it install there.
>(--with-layout=Apache)
>instead of all over the drive.

In theory, sure.  In practice, I haven't found that to be true.  A whole
variety of tools drop things under /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/bin,
/usr/local/info, /usr/local/man, /usr/local/etc, /usr/local/share, ...

Yes, you *CAN* manage them.  You could do a find on /usr/local before and
after you install every package and diff the two to see what was installed
and keep that like around so you know what to delete.  At that point you're
just creating your own manual package management system, I have better
things to do.  ;-/

 Got Source?