[NCLUG] Find, grep and other pointy instruments

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Fri Apr 20 21:39:38 MDT 2001

S. Luke Jones wrote:
> Do you mean, find everything under / and whenever you find a
> specific file you want to omit that entire directory, including
> things that aren't the specific file?

The near solution I posted a minute ago doesn't treat directories
as being things you'd want to omit. Call that an exercise for the
student.

I'm still puzzling why you want this. If all you want is to find
everything under / that's not a specific name, except that it's
okay for directories to have that name, in which case

	find / \( -type d -o ! -name 'whatever' \) -print

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com