[NCLUG] ipchains question

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Apr 21 17:09:06 MDT 2001

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Mark Sizer wrote:

> How can I move /tmp?
>
> It always has locked stuff in it. I'd love to get it off the / partition,
> but how do I get rid of the original? Boot to a different run-level? I
> normally run at 5.

Gotta kill the locking processes, and clean house.  Three
answers:

A. Local console --

1.  Change to run level 1
     init 1

(system kills off all stray processes, and eventually displays
a # prompt)

2.  Clean out the current /tmp
     cd /tmp ; rm -rf * ; rm -rf .[a-zA-Z0-9]*

(this removes all files and directories -- the second rm NEEDS
to ignore '..' so we require that the second character be a
letter of number -- SERIOUS damage will really if you
   rm -rf /tmp/..
[that is of course '/' and is your whole system])  -- it
perfectly to   cd /tmp ; ls -al   and kill off each file or
directory in turn.)

3.  Prepare a new partition -- we'll call it  /dev/hdb1

4.  Add a line with /dev/hdb1 to  /etc/fstab   for an explicit
/tmp mount.

5.  Reboot or   init 5   -- as long as I was local, I'd
probably just reboot ...

6  Done

-----------

B.  Remote console:

(The system I am looking at is Red Hat box, and the
/etc/inittab runs this process once at boot time:
   /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit   with this line:)

si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

See:  man init

1.  Do Example A, steps 3 and 4 above.

2.  Insert a line in rc.sysinit toward the top, of the form in
Example A, line 2.

(This must run BEFORE the mounts occur ...)

3.  Reboot

--------

C. Hard way in X, with a remote system

1.  Kill off all daemon processes which hold files open in
/tmp -- lsof is your friend in identifying them -- The XFS
will be really a b*tch on a target host, for local X sessions
use it.

2.  I would instead have it switch to run level 3, and pop
open a console (without SSH X forwarding) using    init 3

and then go process killing.

3.  Example A, item 2, again

4.  Example A, items 3 and 4, again

5.  Mount the new /tmp partition

6.  Change back to R/L 5    init 5

(No reboot -- uptime is preserved -- see:
   http://bopper.wcbe.org/uptime.txt   )

... I run systems all over the country, and X is ususally NOT
running on the servers I admin ... it eats performance and
makes a host more fragile.

-- Russ