[NCLUG] Memory append in LILO. . .

Martin Gelfand gelfand at lamar.ColoState.EDU
Tue Apr 24 21:43:28 MDT 2001

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a situation in which I would like to make less memory (believe it or
> not) available to the kernel in Linux.  I have 256MB installed in the
> system, but only want 128MB to be used.  I have tried adding
> append="mem=127M" to the kernel parameters in LILO with no luck - the system
> still sees the full 256MB.  Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Ooh, that's interesting: I wonder why it doesn't work?  Maybe
someone else can answer.

One possible workaround would be to spend some bucks for
vmware and set up a linux image.  You can
specify how much memory gets allocated to it.
You're stuck with the limitations of vmware, but
maybe it's sufficient for your needs.

Maybe plex86 would work too?  (Never tried it.)

I suppose just replacing (or pulling out half of) the
system's memory is out of the question?  I can trade
128M SDRAM for 256M any time ;-}.

Regards,
Marty Gelfand
Dept of Physics, Colorado State