[NCLUG] error message

Bryan Stillwell bryan at bokeoa.com
Mon Aug 6 17:13:13 MDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 04:37:46PM -0600, Kennan Blehm wrote:

>[root at anvar kmblehm]# lsattr /usr/bin/top
>----i--- /usr/bin/top

It looks like the file is set immutable, and with the filesize
difference that was pointed out by someone else on the list, I would say
you've been cracked.  You're best bet would be to reinstall and make
sure you're always running with the latest errata.  Also just because
you're on a modem, doesn't mean there will be less hacking attempts.  My
computer which is connected to the net a lot via a modem was hit by 48
attempts to infect it with the code red worm last month, compared to
only 16 on my co-located server which is connected to the net with a
fiber connection...

Now this month is a different story, I've had 85 attempts on my co-lo
server for code red 2, and 113 attempts for the first code red.

Bryan

  http://www.bokeoa.com/    | bryan at bokeoa.com
  GPG fingerprint: 3608 4610 8C08 B8EB 0970  9686 8A93 386C 6116 EFE2