[NCLUG] Re: Not Code Red (another Code Red topic)

dobbster dobbster at dobbster.com
Mon Aug 6 22:49:57 MDT 2001

> Has anyone experienced crashing DSL modems that can be attributed to CodeRed?
>
> I have two DSL lines right next to each other. One with a Cisco 675 in
> bridging mode to frii supporting a static subnet.  The other is a Cisco
> 678 in ppp/router mode to qwest and supports 8 (5 usable) static IPs.
>
> A week ago or so I disabled web access to both after hearing about
> CodeRed-I.  This weekend the 678 began crashing every few hours or so.
> Since it seemed to coincide with the growth of CodeRed-II I was thinking
> that it might be getting hit hard and having some type of overflow.  I
> put in a trouble report to qworst (as some say) Sunday afternoon and
> have yet to hear a reply.
>
> Today it has been even worse.  I can't keep the modem up for more than an
> hour at a time.  Now I am wondering if this is a symptom of CodeRed
> at all.  The modem in bridging mode has been flawless but the other
> has been hell.  I would love to know if anybody else has experienced these
> types of problems.

Yes.  I have a Cisco 675.  Disabling the web access seemed to do the trick last
week, but this weekend it started crashing again.  I called FRII and they
suggested I update the CBOS.  They pointed me to
http://www.qwest.com/dsl/customerservice/win675ups.html for doing this in
Windows, using hyperterm to transfer the CBOS image via xmodem.  They said this
was the only method they support and that I would "void everything" if I
attempted it in Linux (tftp, minicom, etc.)

Anyway, it didn't work.  Hyperterm was dropping almost all of the packets, and
claimed a transfer rate of about 10 cps.  It eventually timed out.  I called
Qwest tech support, and they insisted that I repeat the process; I guess they
didn't believe me.  They also had me attempt the transfer in debug mode (hold
down ctrl+c while cycling power).  I can't recall the command we used in debug
mode, but it didn't work - it timed out again.

This is when they told me that my 675 had a hardware problem!  So I spent half
of today trying to get it exchanged.  I waited on hold TWO HOURS to get to
Qwest's DSL support services desk.  They referred me to a third-party vendor
(Innotrac), where I waited on hold again, and was eventually referred back to
the support services desk.  I was frustrated enough by then to quit for the
day.  Now I'm glad I didn't get the exchange, if it's indeed Code Red 2...

(If I could charge Qwest/USWest a decent hourly rate for time wasted over the
years, I'd be a rich man...)

> P.S.  Cisco DSL modems have been infected with the Microsoft IIS virus.
>       I read this on the Cisco pages.  Can you believe that anyone would
>       actually burn MS crap into ROM?

Once upon a time, I was actually warped enough to voluntarily get an MCSE, and I
took IIS as one of the "elective" exams.  I remember hating it, and I remember
the joy I felt when I finally learned Apache.

Sure enough, the web configuration pages for the 675 look like they were made
with MS FrontPage.

Say, thanks for bringing this thread up.  You may have saved me the price of a
new 675/678.

Mark (dobbster at frii.com)