[NCLUG] Egress Filtering

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Tue Aug 7 16:36:37 MDT 2001

	> > Might suggest they either filter for non-existant address blocks on
	the
	> > network, or cut the size of the subnets.
	>
	> Good suggestion... but think of Charter this way: Qworst, only run
	entirely
	> by marketing people.

	Actually, it brings up a good point.  I would not like my ISP doing a
	lot of filtering, but why don't they at least do egress filtering?

Actually - the suggestion is to drop on the floor inbound packets for which
there is no subscriber - and avoid the looming arp broadcast storm. This is
not subscriber filterin.

Secondly, the problem of egress filtering for a large ISP is they typically
route many portable Class C's. Adding that CPU table lookup on routers isn't
cheap in terms of processor/memory bandwidth and adds to pass thru latency.

	Okay, so all that dry stuff behind me, I guess the question is, why
	doesn't @Home do this?  Do you know Steve Gibson of the Gibson Research
	Corporation?  He's a PR-hound if I ever saw one...  Although he has
	moments of sharpness, he mostly seems to do the Geraldo-esque

Where this should be put is the cable modem and DSL boxes - not accept packets
outbound that do not match the subscribers subnet/IP.

It's not necessary to degrade the discussion with personal attacks. It's way
to easy to piss on someone else without any knowledge of the tradeoff's and
impacts - I suspect few could fit in the guys shoes for a month without getting
fired.

John