[NCLUG] Egress Filtering

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Tue Aug 14 15:57:57 MDT 2001

The original assertion was that every ISP should have a mandate to egress
filter all evil packets before they exit down stream, and with one particular
class of evil packets as a straw man.

The proposal is a political one, about if ISP's should accept that mandate,
rather than their customers. The obvious implication is that ISP's must then
accept full responsibility for all packets that exit their networks, independent
of their customers responsibilities and actions.  It completely begs the question
of do customers have the same obligation, and should customers be also required
to filter at their firewall/router to the ISP? After all, in the internet food
chain, even regional ISP's are customers of a down stream provider. Does this
mandate extend to the large "ISP's" like MCI, Sprint, Level3, Alternet which
form the backbone, and where it's nearly impossible to manage huge long filter
lists at every gateway router?

There are technical merits on both sides of the fence, the strongest being that
in ATM and BGP networks the router/switch at the egress may not examine IP headers,
but rather exclusively use the ATM port id, ASN, or other destination ID from a
frame header which encapsulates/aggregates the ip packet(s) in transport to select
the out bound port for a packet. Such devices are typically running in switch mode,
where the destination ID can be handled at wire speed without processor/router
intervention.

At speeds above 100mbps, which include ATM and other transport protocols which use
OC-3 and OC-12 fibre connections, there does not exist a processor/memory technology
capable of doing IP header routing at wire speed. Many existing routers have a
difficult time somewhere between 1mbps and 100mbps, depending on the number of
subnets in use on it's ports. Corporate customers with such highspeed links
are very likely to also incurr a difficultly implementing this egress filtering
mandate.

Most DSL/Cable customers already deploy a firewall/router capable of handling
the task at purchased connection speed. It's also this class of customer which
lacks the expertise to prevent the abuses of the most concern. In fact, they
are specifically the class of systems targeted by virus and trojan writers.

I believe that everyone is responsible for the devices they directly manage/own,
and no one else. A customer might choose to outsource part or all of that obligation
to a contractor, which might be their ISP, for a fee or bundled into another service.
There are a number of ISP's which manage selected customer networks.

My assertion in this thread has been that those customers should be required
to filter in their cable/dsl modem/router/firewall/NAT device rather than
forcing a mandate on ISP's which can not be handled with current generation
router devices on faster megabit plus down stream connections. Furthermore,
I assert that it's infeasible to hold an ISP accountable for finding a technical
solution for every form of evil packet stream a customers network might be
able to inject into the network.

There will always be a class of evil packets for which it is impractical to filter
down streams, out bound Code Red attacks for example. The router would not only
have to examine the IP headers, but scan packet content for a particular signature.
Or DOS attacks using packet flooding of an arbitrary type. Just where does the
mandate that the ISP find a techical sollution for all types of evil packets stop?

I stated that this is a slippery slope, and once you start down this path,
it is difficult to stop and is almost certainly going to hit solid technical
barriers.

We can certainly agree to disagree in the end, as each of us has differing experiences,
needs and objectives. There is certainly no need to twist any element of this
discussion into directed personal attacks, or attempt to force any participant
to defend an artifically constructed unpopular position.

John

	on 8/14/01 11:26 AM, Quent at quent at pobox.com wrote:

	> Of course there's no answer to this; it depends on the situation.  Where I
	> work we have some pretty huge pipes where filtering just isn't too practical.
	> It's like hooking a garden hose to a water main :-)

	hmmm... to me, it's more like running the water through a screen.

	if you already have some filtering in place, adding

	 filter 10.0.0.0/8
	 filter 172.16.0.0/12
	 filter 192.168.0.9/16

	to the beginning of your filter won't add a discernable (sp?) load.

	also, depending on the networks you have and your ability to aggregate them,
	adding

	 filter <!my ip block>

	shouldn't add much of a load either.

	really large networks with lots of ip space should have staff in place to
	manage the network, including a way to manage the list of allowed network
	addresses. (not to mention a router that can handle the load)

	my $.02
	mike

	btw, frii filtered when i worked there.

	 -- mike cullerton   michaelc at cullerton.com