[NCLUG] Egress Filtering

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Aug 15 01:51:10 MDT 2001

	Ahh... those were the days...

	aie, there's a tear in me eye,
	Paul

I've also grown tired of open debate in news groups and most lists. Too many of
the local poster resort to personal attacks as soon as they start to lose the
debate.

You might enjoy the "Darwinistic Eco Fanaticism" SUV vs small car threads:

	http://groups.google.com/groups?q=suv+small+cars+deaths+group:co.general&hl=en&safe=off&scoring=r&rnum=2&selm=8ccvno%24mk%241%40nnrp1.deja.com
	http://groups.google.com/groups?q=suv+small+cars+deaths+group:co.general&hl=en&safe=off&scoring=r&rnum=1&selm=8cgh4i%241bu%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

I've found using "Totally_Lost" as a screen name to be particulary effective
dealing with particullary obnoxius idealists. A lot of facts, and sharp calling
the opposition "baby killers" creates quite a bomb.

I pick my discussions much more carefully now - mostly toward issues that might
make a public difference. I've felt for a while that cable/dsl modems should NAT
by default and cut the legs off internet trojans and viruses that rely on direct
infection via code bugs in exposed services. A causual user can much more safely
use resource sharing in their local lan when the address space isn't externally
addressable/exploitable. Having to buy an outboard NAT fire wall like the Netgear
or Linksys just isn't right. This one change would have cut most of Code Red off
at the knees, as well as most of the Linux exploits.

John