[NCLUG] Egress Filtering

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Wed Aug 15 20:37:03 MDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 05:27:15PM -0600, Quent wrote:
>Not that it really matters but it's interesting to think about: OC-192s
>and system memory bus speeds are in the same ball park. Ethernet switch
>uplink speeds are getting there too. Special ASICs are required to sniff
>that kind of traffic.

The CAIDA project at www.caida.org is deploying machines at various
concentration points for net traffic and has dealt with a lot of issues
relating to snagging a bunch of traffic off the wire and analyzing it.  Evi
Nemeth gave a great presentation on it at a Boulder LUG meeting last year.
I've invited her to give another talk later this year or early next...  No
idea what on, but she could make a presentation on toasters interesting...

 "I feel so insignificant...  Like people are laughing at me."
 "You--You ARE a clown..."  -- Bob Newhart