[NCLUG] Anyone looking for UNIX talent?

C. J. Keist cjay at engr.colostate.edu
Fri Aug 17 14:31:59 MDT 2001

Hello,
     I hope some of you don't take this an advertising plug, I just want to
help my current UNIX Admin assistant, Louie Canaiy, in finding a new job in
anyway that I can.  We unfortunately do not have the budget to keep him on
beyond October.  The best way for me to describe his abilities is with my
letter of recommendation I wrote for him:

Louie has worked under my supervision as a UNIX Admin assistant from August
28, 2000, to the present.  His responsibilities include all aspects of
maintaining and configuring services on our UNIX servers, network
management, support for faculty and staff, user account management, and
management of user disk and print quotas.   During the course of his
employment, Louie has proved himself to be an exceptional employee, a hard
worker, and extremely self-motivated.

Since Louie starting working as a Student Lab Tech in April of 2000, I have
been very impressed with his willingness to learn new technical
skills.  When it became clear that the newly hired UNIX Admin Assistant for
me would not arrive for sometime, I had no hesitation to offer Louie the
position until the permanent person arrives.  Since then, Louie has done a
tremendous job in helping alleviate a lot of the work load for me.  One of
the first things he took over was my door lock security system for access
to the computer labs.    Not only did he maintain the door lock user
database, but also installed new card readers for the computer labs in the
newly renovated Engineering building.  He also pulled the data wires from
the card readers to the door lock servers.  Recently, Louie has set up a
new print quota system that will keep track of users print quotas whether
they print from a PC or UNIX workstation.  He also set up and configured a
separate VLAN network for all our network printers.  This way, users would
not be able to by pass the print server and try to print to the network
printers directly.

Overall, Louie is a very conscientious and able employee.  He has a through
knowledge of UNIX as well as a strong understanding of Windows NT and
Windows 2000.  I certainly believe he has what it takes to become a valued
member in any company or organization, and I am sad to see him leave.  I
strongly recommend Louie for any UNIX administrative position.

If anyone of you are looking or know of companies needing UNIX expertise,
please let me know.

Thanks...

C. J. Keist                     Email: cjay at engr.colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager            Phone: 970-491-0630
Engineering Network Services    Fax:   970-491-5569
College of Engineering, CSU
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301