[NCLUG] samba share question

Jim Ankrum jimankrum at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:49:36 MDT 2001

"J. Paul Reed" wrote:

> Take a look at smbmount; I don't use samba on a daily basis, but I'm pretty
> sure that's the "user" utility for mounting shares wherever you want within
> your own directory space.

yea, thats where I got the idea to put the username and all that in
/etc/rc.local. If I'm at home (and I am btw) the share which is also the
user password is in plain text so anyone that can read /etc/rc.local can
see it plain as day. again, here at home no big deal, but in a work
environment...

> > One other thing... I haven't looked yet but since I mounted my user
> > directory as root are any files I modify owned by root? That would suck
> > :p
>
> If it's like any other standard Unix mount, no. If you have permissions to
> write to the mountpoint, then it doesn't matter who mounted it; it will
> have the ownership of the UID that created it.
>
> One caveat, though: SMB may map UIDs and do odd things with file creation
> if you're mounting something that has no concept of UIDs... it's been
> awhile since I've had to deal with Win boxes and Samba.

well, actually the windows machines don't have any problems... it's only
when I mount the smb shares from Linux... I could use NFS if I wanted to
but since the files I want are already shared though Samba....

Thanks,
Jim