[NCLUG] samba share question

Jim Ankrum jimankrum at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 18:36:10 MDT 2001

James DeWitt wrote:

> I call a script containing the smbmount command from /etc/rc.d/rc.local on
> a Linux machine at work.  The script file is owned by root:root with
> permissions of 700.
>
> It is necessary to specify uid=UID  gid=GID (and perhaps fmask=FMASK
> dmask=DMASK) in order to get the thing to behave.

whew... you mind pointing me in the direction of how all those work? :)
I'm not a programmer just guessing though that uid= user id? gid= group
id? fmask= file mask? but I don't know how to use that info...

the permission 700 is something I need to find out about also. I know
that it tells who can read, write, execute but I don't know what "700"
is exactly... execute only? no read no write?

If I just need to go buy a book (not a bad idea the more i think about
it) do you have one to recommend?

Thanks,
Jim