[NCLUG] samba share question

Theodore A. Roth troth at verinet.com
Tue Aug 21 19:21:27 MDT 2001

try man 2 chmod

To make a program setuid root, do the following as root:

  chown root <prog>
  chmod 4755 <prog>

That's it, although is most cases setuid programs are _bad_.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Jim Ankrum mumbled something to the effect of:

:)"J. Paul Reed" wrote:
:)
:)> Take a look at smbmount; I don't use samba on a daily basis, but I'm pretty
:)> sure that's the "user" utility for mounting shares wherever you want within
:)> your own directory space.
:)
:)ok... I spoke too soon on that last response (if it even shows up... i
:)sent it a while ago) anyway did that as user "jim" it tells me that
:)smbmount needs to be installed setuid root. whats the recommended
:)reading on that? I tried man setuid and info setuid and so far I'm not
:)getting too far with it.
:)
:)Thanks,
:)Jim