[NCLUG] samba share question

James DeWitt jdewitt36 at home.com
Tue Aug 21 19:53:57 MDT 2001

On Tuesday 21 August 2001 18:36, you wrote:
> James DeWitt wrote:
> > I call a script containing the smbmount command from /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> > on a Linux machine at work.  The script file is owned by root:root with
> > permissions of 700.
> >
> > It is necessary to specify uid=UID  gid=GID (and perhaps fmask=FMASK
> > dmask=DMASK) in order to get the thing to behave.
>
> whew... you mind pointing me in the direction of how all those work? :)
> I'm not a programmer just guessing though that uid= user id? gid=
> id? fmask= file mask? but I don't know how to use that info...
>
> the permission 700 is something I need to find out about also. I know
> that it tells who can read, write, execute but I don't know what "700"
> is exactly... execute only? no read no write?
>
> If I just need to go buy a book (not a bad idea the more i think about
> it) do you have one to recommend?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Well, in short, mode 700 means owner can Read, Write or Execute the file,
but nobody else can do any of these things.  If root owns the file, only root
level users could see the password in the file.

There is a discussion of file permissions at:
    http://linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/filesys/fileperms.html
and in
    `info chmod`

Regards,