[NCLUG] RE:trouble writing to DOS/vfat devices

Ted Anderson ted.anderson at home.com
Wed Aug 29 12:44:59 MDT 2001

I'm not sure this newbie question made it to the list legibly.  When I
pulled up yesterday's digest my messages were undecipherable (!*?)

My hard drive is partitioned to dual-boot RH7.1 and Win98.  There is
another partition formatted FAT32.  I'd like to be able to use the Gnome
Midnight Commander File Manager to drag/drop files from my Linux
directories into either the C: or D: Win98 logical drives, which are
mounted in Linux as /win98 and /fat32 respectively.  I get an error
*Cannot create target file "blah-blah-blah" Permission denied (13)*
whenever I try to do this, whether as root or a regular user.
Same thing happens with the floppy drive if it has an IBM format on the
diskette.

Is the only way to read/write these devices via the
DOS-file-system-specific commands such as mmove, mcopy, mmount, etc?

TIA,
Ted