[NCLUG] new X installation

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Mon Dec 3 09:39:47 MST 2001

I've just done a fresh install of KRUD 7.1 from CD (first Linux install
via CD I've done; done IRIX and Solaris, but this was nicer) and X isn't
working. The strange part is that for RedHat 7.0 Xconfigurator worked just
fine. With 7.1, my monitor is even listed. However, the best I can get X
working is to see a bit of screen with the test boxes mixed up, like the
verticle sync is off. I've tried to just enter the custom monitor
definition as I did with 7.0 to no avail. I've tried using the XF86Config
and XF86Config-4 files from my 7.0 install with no luck. Unfortunately I
don't recall what server my system used last time, just figuring it would
figure out to use the same one this time. The XF86Config and -4 files
don't seem to show any real difference (names, spacing type stuff only).

I have an HP Visualize X550. The Xconfigurator with 7.1 finds the same
graphic card and sets it up with the SVGA server.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Please reply so that I get a
direct reply. I'm on the nclug digest, but could use help sooner than I'd
get the digest.

TIA, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B