[NCLUG] Cable Modem Refugees

Chris Wolney chris at wolney.com
Mon Dec 3 15:21:21 MST 2001

I had read the slashdot post as well, and checked out a little traffic when
my cable modem regained the link on Saturday.  Same experience as that
poster, the net is there, but no DHCP server.  I wonder how much more prep
they need to do before they open the network back up?  Their press release
says we may get back online on Thursday.

In the end I decided I would make do with dialup for a bit to avoid getting
the dreaded "abuse" flag, but if others are having success with it, and our
subnet is in anarchy anyway...

I don't like this new bandwidth cap concept.  I hope it does not get to be
an issue.  I'd rather see them take initiative in doing something about
other customers probing my boxes for Windows trojans and other shady
goings-on than tighntening down the screws on my pipe.

-Chris