[NCLUG] 3c509 probs/KRUD 6 install

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Thu Dec 6 10:06:17 MST 2001

Rich Young wrote:

> Hi all,
>         I'm trying to get KRUD 6.0 installed, and I'm having problems with my
> 3c509TP (ISA)
> NIC's.  After installation, I get this error:
>  eth0: Infinite loop in interrupt, status 2011.
>   Scyld says this is "mostly harmless" (scyld.com/network/3c509.html), but I
> can't seem to
> get past it when I boot the machine.  It is, after all, an *infinite* loop,
> and once I get
> the message (near the end of the boot process, after filesystem mounting and
> the attempt

Make sure you have PNP turned off on the card itself, using the driver
disk they gave you.  This seems to cause problems.  I also could NOT get
the card to play well on certain IRQs.  I believe my experiences are
documented in the Linux Hardware Database...  If I recall, it didn't
play well with a specific sound card on IRQ10.

Other than that, I used to have this problem, but it was rare, and only
when I booted.  If I booted, and it did the loop, I would reboot and try
again.  It usually worked fine the second time.

Mind you, that's a horrible death sentence if you want a server to
gracefully come back up after some power event or something...  Other
than these rare problems, the card worked well for me...

> a) It's not the 3c509B problem with PnP settings, as this card is not a B --
> it's a TP.

Oh.  Uhhhh... nevermind, then. :)  Still, we've got BOATLOADS of these
cards around the office, and don't have problems with them.  Check for
conflicts with silly sound cards.