[NCLUG] AT&T slow to sucky, DNS showers

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Dec 10 12:56:22 MST 2001

 So, my cablemodem seems to be working, although I spent a good portion of
yesterday trying to download a couple small (6-10MB) files over it. Traces
through shows a particularly messy AT&T network and speed (if you can call
it that) was abysmal when the DNS servers actually resolved an address.
They seem to be pretty picky about what sites are fast and which are slow
to non-reachable too.

 The question, then, is what have you guys heard about Qwest progress on
DSL in Fort Collins? Or, for that matter, other "broadband" solutions that
actually offer, you know, bandwidth. I'm hoping that someone with half a
brain at Qwest said "Hey, while we're pulling this fiber up here for AT&T,
why don't we install some more DLSAM's at the same time?" Yeah, I know,
the half-a-brain thing is wishful thinking...

--
                  | "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills
   Mike Loseke    | the first woman she meets and then teams up with three
 mike at verinet.com | complete strangers to kill again."