[NCLUG] AUP, DHCP, and AT&T

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Tue Dec 11 11:08:02 MST 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:02:32AM -0700, Michael Dwyer wrote:
> *Lord* Kelvin?  I didn't vote for him!  :P

Er, that's the point, you don't get to vote for Lords.  They're imposed
on you.  Some watery tart lobs a sword at them and ...

> Actually, I have heard some people trying to pass of the idea that
>
>  k == 1000
>  K == 1024
>
> I'm not sure I buy it.  It all reeks of lying about hard drive specs. :)

they're completely and utterly wrong.  The ieee/iec have suggested Ki,
Mi, Gi, etc to represent `binary thousands'.  The only people who use
this notation are the same people who say `octet' rather than `byte'.
ie french people.