[NCLUG] 56k v.90 external modem recommendations?

Chris Wolney chris at wolney.com
Tue Dec 11 15:23:59 MST 2001

I don't have hard numbers offhand, but I typically connect to my employer's
RAS @ 26000-28800 with the Sportster X2, and ~48800  with the v.Everything.
The v.Everything seems to handle the cruddy phone lines from my apartment
through the cruddy Old Town switch more pleasantly.  After the connection is
made, working on the v.Everything is noticeably better.

For the overseas dialups, the speed increase was slight, but there were
times where the old USR modems would need to make 3-4 attempts to dial the
remote host.  After upgrading to v.Everything modems, every connection was
solid.  The number of dialup failures went down to almost nothing.

YMMV... If nothing else, you may be able to borrow a v.Everything from
someone to see if it would justify the cost.  I just took a quick tour of
the server room to see if I could hook you up with one for a week, but it
appears the v.Everythings have become "unofficial bonuses".  :-)

-Chris