[NCLUG] gdm funkiness

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Dec 13 18:00:53 MST 2001

	 Ok, pain in the tuckus time. RedHat(KRUD) 7.1 machines, 2 seperate
	machines setup identically and user is unable to login on the gdm-powered
	X console login screen on either. Dumps him back out to the gdm screen.
	User's home dir is automounted via NFS/autofs. Was working great, user
	logged out to reset something and couldn't log back in.

That happened to me too a while back, and I ended up clearing all the GUI/X stuff
in my home directory and repopulated it with an image of files from a virgin new
user (same name and ID's) created on another machine.  Just had to reset my GUI
pref's on the first login.

Was kinda a shotgun fix, but didn't want to take more time to really debug it.
What I discovered was that there wasn't a good way to log the entire startup
process to debug it - and after several false starts, just shot it.

John