[NCLUG] Data Security Blanket

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sun Dec 16 23:47:55 MST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 08:07:46AM -0800, Kirk Rheinlander wrote:
>pull the PCMCIA card out, so that if the laptop is stolen, the really
>valuable stuff - the data - is with me.

As others have mentioned, use rsync.  One nice trick that I don't see many
people using is that you can set up a "backup directory" name and make
rsync save backup copies of the files that it's updating.  So, you not only
get a copy of what your system is currently like, but also you can get some
historic copies.

The other nice thing about it is that you can just rsync over the net.
With the right exclude list, you won't get the postgres database containers
and logs, but just the important data.  I've done my fair share of syncing
over modem lines and other connectivity while on the road, and it's not
THAT bad...  Plus, somone has to swipe the laptop and a rackmount server to
get all my data.  As it is, the laptop is rather easily replacable.

 "Science exists to lend belief to sci-fi movies."