[NCLUG] Data Security Blanket

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sun Dec 16 23:59:24 MST 2001

	The other nice thing about it is that you can just rsync over the net.
	With the right exclude list, you won't get the postgres database containers
	and logs, but just the important data.  I've done my fair share of syncing
	over modem lines and other connectivity while on the road, and it's not
	THAT bad...  Plus, somone has to swipe the laptop and a rackmount server to
	get all my data.  As it is, the laptop is rather easily replacable.

	Sean

The other net advantage for rsync is that it runs inside ssh tunnels, so it's
secure without any effort to create selective mirrors using the exclude lists.
As Sean says, it's really cool, and flexible, and we have been using it for
remote secure backups via local mirror directories on our fibrechanel raid
storage pool for a while with absolutely no problems. Amanda is then useful
to archive the raid mirror pools to tape library automatically.

	rsync -v -a --exclude=[your-excludes] --bwlimit=50 --rsh=ssh --stats --progress --delete root at your.host.org:/ /raid/your-host-mirror

Rsync takes both local and remote directories for either dest/source, so it will
copy on the same system, between local & remote systems, or between two remote systems.

Really flexible and cool.

John