[NCLUG] gdm funkiness

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Mon Dec 17 15:18:44 MST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Mike Loseke wrote:

>  On Linux (RedHat 7.1 is what I'm currently using), the default setup is
>  now nice and purty for a single user desktop but to use it in a
>  heterogeneous environment takes lots of modifications (yes, I *would*
>  like the ability to login remotely) - and then, it seems, users aren't
>  even allowed to login through the default gdm interface. Thanks alot.

Yeah but, as I'm sure you know, the great thing about Linux is that if
you wanted to build a distro with the configs all setup to look
and work like CDE (or whatever your environment is) and gdm work (tm)
remotely, you could do it and had it out to all the engineers.

We're talking about doing exactly that at Poly... a Poly-distro for the
frosh that contains Java and all the other things they're going to need to
do their CSC/CPE homework, so we don't have go through the pain of
explaining the nuances of Java installation and such.

I think some of the bigger schools (MIT, etc.) have already done this...
which I think is pretty coo.

You can't do that with Slowaris or H-SUX.

Later,
Paul