[NCLUG] RFC: draft of press release

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Wed Feb 7 10:47:21 MST 2001

Here is my first draft of the press release. Let me know
what you think. If you're one of the quotees, let me know
if I misquoted you. In Matt's case, since he's not around,
I was wondering if anybody else remembers him saying
those things. :-)

Northern Colorado Linux User's Group
http://nclug.org/

Linux Group Provide Aid to Microsoft Business Victims

Front Range Linux partisans offer relief for victims in the
escalating war on users by Microsoft-led industry "Alliance".

Fort Collins, Colorado (February 9, 2001) -- The Northern
Colorado Linux User's Group (NCLUG) unveiled an initiative
to support victims of harsh software licensing terms. The
NCLUG "Shake Down Break Down" program will provide
assistance in replacing software with license issues with
different software with more liberal licensing terms.

"The typical end-user license agreement runs to thousands of
words," said NCLUG president Matt Taggart.  "It's virtually
impossible for non-lawyers to know if they are using their
software in accordance with licensing terms." The Microsoft
Windows 2000 end-user license agreement (EULA), for example,
is 14 pages long. Microsoft Office 2000 has a 9 page EULA.

Under the NCLUG program, NCLUG technologists will examine a
computer system. If they determine that the operating system
or application software is licensed under an agreement that
imposes difficult or arcane terms, they will offer to replace
the software with a more liberally licensed alternative.

NCLUG recommends software licensed under so-called open source
agreements such as the GNU Public License (GPL), the Mozilla
Public License (MPL), the Sun Industry Standards Source License
(SISSL), and others, as alternatives to harsh licensing
agreements such as the Microsoft EULA mentioned above.
The GPL, which governs use of the Linux operating system,
allows unlimited, world-wide, royalty-free use and
redistribution of software licensed under its terms.

The NCLUG initiatives are a response to a recent escalation
in an ongoing campaign by the Business Software Alliance (BSA).

The BSA campaign offers a temporary "truce" during which
businesses must, to stave off further intimidation and
harrassment, gather evidence proving their innocence. Given
the complex character of many license agreements, this can
be a huge burden. "A typical office machine might have four
or five applications plus the operating system," explained
Evelyn Mitchell, CEO of tummy.com, a local software
consulting company. "Multiply that by however many machines
you have, and it's a nightmare," she continued.

In copies of the letter obtained by NCLUG, the BSA describes
its mission as educational. Nothing in the letter identifies
the adversary against whom its members are "allied."

The BSA letter does not explain why it was sent to the
recipient. Presumably, the BSA considers all recipients to
be software pirates, or at least potential pirates. "The
BSA is calling a truce," the letter states. "You have
until Feburary 28 to get legal."

A separate mailing by BSA member Microsoft was received by
some recipients of the BSA "truce" letter. It refers to
the ongoing "truce," recommends that recipients work with
SoftChoice, a software reseller, to determine what
additional software is required, and purchase it under
Microsoft's Open License program. "The sweet voice of
reason," fumed NCLUG member Sean Reifschneider. "What an
amazing coincidence!"

"I'm amazed that Microsoft's customers put up with this
kind of treatment," said Taggart. "It underscores how
Microsoft leverages its monopoly." In a landmark trial,
a federal judge last year determined that Microsoft was
a monopolist and ordered its breakup. The decision is
under appeal.

The NCLUG Shake Down Break Down program runs until
February 28, the conclusion of the BSA Truce. "If there
is ongoing interest, we may extend the program into the
spring," said Luke Jones, Special Operations Coordinator.

Participation in the program is open to all. There is
no cost for the service or, if needed, the software
that will be installed.

To take advantage of the program, businesses and
individuals should access the "Shake Down Break Down"
link on the NCLUG web page (http://nclug.org/).

About NCLUG

NCLUG, the Northern Colorado Linux User's Group, is a
community of hobbyists, professionals, and others
interested in the Linux operating system. It has been
operating in Fort Collins since 1996. Its members
advocate the widespread adoption of Linux and other
open-source software.

Previous NCLUG activities have included "Linux
Demonstration Day" and "Linux Install Fest" events
every autumn, and demonstrations at the Community
Internet Festival.

NCLUG holds regular monthly meetings on the first
Tuesday of each month at the tummy.com offices,
200A College Ave. North, Fort Collins.