[NCLUG] RFC: draft of press release -- comments from another side

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Tue Feb 13 10:08:15 MST 2001

Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> writes:
> While in theory I agree with this sentiment, in practice I think it may not
> be as effective for the target audience.  It seems like the MS press-releases
> along similar lines combatting Linux tend to be any less negative.  Since
> these are certainly carefully crafted by a whole army of people hired to do
> such things, I think we could use them as a metric of how natagive is TOO
> negative...

With the popular press slamming MS for this type of negative campaign, it
probably would be a mistake to ratchet up the Linux side to behave at the
same (or any) negative level ... lest they take bad press to. See eWeek 2/5/01
front cover, bottom of page, article by Peter Galli "Microsoft grapples with
Linux threat".

John