[NCLUG] RFC: draft of press release -- comments from another side

NIESEWAND,OLIVER (Non-HP-FtCollins,ex1) oliver_niesewand at non.hp.com
Tue Feb 13 10:35:38 MST 2001

Speaking as a former journalist (magazine and local news), there's something
to be said for avoiding subtly in the message you want to convey. You might
get more mileage in the "if you're fed up of being treated like a pirate or
paying massive licensing fees, then why not let us help you look at Linux"
approach.

The reason is that most journalists don't spend much time reading press
releases and if an obvious story doesn't leap out at them quickly or they
don't understand what it's about, they'll just throw it in the trash and
move on to the next one in their stack of 50 or so releases they'll get a
day.

I expect there's a possibility that some local technology correspondents are
already reading this list. If not then it might be worth calling a couple
and giving them personal briefings when you release it, for two reasons.

The first is that they are probably always on the lookout for any new local
technology stories and will be pleased to get this one.

The second is that they should have more of a clue than your average
journalist and so should be able to couch the message you want to convey in
simple but accurate terms.

Just some thoughts.

My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employers.