[NCLUG] grrrr....

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed Feb 14 08:57:27 MST 2001

Thus spake aaron at tummy.com:
> > This is pretty much what I ran into as well. Thanks for confirming,
> > in at least this instance, that I've not completely lost my
> > mind. :-) I've already pointed the user at lftp and the OS supplied
> > ftp (as well as a couple other options) so he's running and as
> > blisfully ignorant as ever.  I think I'll just nuke the inetutils
> > install of getpass related utils.
>
> Is there anything worthwhile in inetutils?  It all looks to be ancient
> (Net/2 or 4.3BSD) code.  (OK, OK, so that's not so ancient to a
> handful on the list.)  Surely, Sun's rutils are workable (and ssh is
> cooler anyway), there are certainly better ftp clients (and servers)
> out there, and the Solaris telnet works, and the Sun syslog handles
> those doors or portals or whatever they're called.  Looks like
> inetutils was put together so that the HURD might have some basic
> network functionality.  Really basic...  Just curious about the
> motivation for installng it.

 At work we're supporting a software tree (think /usr/local/bin) which
contains GNU stuff and other free-as-in-beer type software for both Solaris
and HP-UX machines which is mirrored across the entire company (3 time
zones so far). We just recently started from scratch with a fresh tree as
there was some really ugly and old versions of junk in there. In gathering
the requirements from the different sites who were using a different
solution, which this one replaces, this was just one of those packages so
it was installed for "completeness."

 Discovering that it is operable at a less than desired level is just part
of exposing it to actual users. :-)

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.