[NCLUG] port monitorer

dann dannf at dannf.org
Sun Feb 18 20:59:40 MST 2001

hey,
  here are the rules provided by the "Linux Firewall Design Tool" for
allowing ICQ connections:
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html

you can also try logging denied packets & watch the logs while you use
your icq client.

    # ICQ server (4000)
    # -----------------
    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp  \
             -s any/0 $UNPRIVPORTS \
             -d $IPADDR 2000:4000 -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp ! -y \
             -s $IPADDR 2000:4000 \
             -d any/0 $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s any/0 $UNPRIVPORTS \
             -d $IPADDR 4000 -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s $IPADDR 4000 \
             -d any/0 $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

    # ICQ client (4000)
    # -----------------
    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp  \
             -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
             --destination-port 2000:4000 -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp ! -y \
             --source-port 2000:4000 \
             -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
             --destination-port 4000 -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             --source-port 4000 \