[NCLUG] OT: transparent jpg

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Wed Feb 21 21:01:56 MST 2001

> anyway, is there such thing as a transparent jpg. in photoshop, if a make
> simple graphic and try to save it as jpg, i can't find an option to make
it
> transparent. the same image, if saved as a gif, can be saved as
transparent.

> is transparency not possible in the jpg format?

I don't believe so.  That something reserved for the realm of PNG and GIFs.
PNG's actually take it one better, doing alpha-channels of transparency!

But I digress...  The lossy jpeg compression turns solid colors into messes
of
dithering.  So, a solid "background" color disappears.  You can sometimes
get
away with making the jpeg background the same color as the web page, but
then you run into the browser-safe-color issue.

PNGs are actually pretty well supported, so long as the person doesn't have
an overzealous install of QuickTime... Grumble...