[NCLUG] USB Mice and Linux

Prescott Oelke panick at excite.com
Sun Feb 25 15:20:56 MST 2001

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:01:06 -0700, nclug at nclug.org wrote:

>  What kernel does this version of SuSe use? Does it use a kernel with the
old
>  sucky USB support or a >=2.2.18 with the 2.4 backported USB?

 SuSE 6.4 comes with the 2.2.14 kernel.

>  What modules do you have loaded? Do you get any beeps when you plug it
in?

 With the 2.4.2 kernel I have tried doing everything without the modules (I
have had a lot of problems with modules in earlier kernels). Basically with
the 2.2.14 kernel everything loads properly, USB included (the mouse lights
up when the USB driver loads, it's optical), the mouse just doesn't work.
With the 2.4.2 kernel the basic USB driver (USB-UHCI, I believe. I have a BX
motherboard) spews an error and fails to load. Curiously my soundcard fails
under 2.4.2 as well while it had no problem under the regular SuSE kernel.

>  I was having problems getting the modules to autoload properly, so I
admitted
>  defeat and load some of them on boot. Some day I'll go back and do it the

>  "Right Way"(tm).

 I am bound and determined to get this working "properly". I refuse to be
defeated by this. Maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious somewhere.

Prescott Oelke