[NCLUG] FW: strange message sent to root

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Feb 26 17:46:50 MST 2001

> > I've never seen anything like that before on a Slack system.  Check the
> > system logs (/var/log/messges) for any further mail traces.  Also, check
the
> > crontabs (crontab -l <username>) to see if there is a timed event
causing
> > these.  It LOOKS like it was
> > sent local-to-local, so it is likely from your local machine.  You you
> > recently install
> > some intrusion detection software?
>
> haven't installed anything new lately. in fact, the last couple months
i've
> been spending most of my free time learning as much as i can about my
system
> and how it works. there isn't much going on in my box. i went thru the
logs
> with my boss today and nothing stands out.

Ummm... Can I see?   Is your machine reachable via the internet?

It really sounds like there is a process started that shouldn't be.  Check
the
output of ktop (a windowy program) versus the output of "ps -aux" from
the command line.  They should more-or-less match.  If you find anything
different, then your /bin/ps has been replaced and is probably hiding things
from you.

If it does match, you might send the output of "ps aux" to us.  I have a
pretty good idea of what should be there.  (You might just send it to me
instead of to everybody...) (n0zap @yahoo.com)

Here is another one to test.  This is from a Slack 7.1.0 box.  Yours should
be the same.
# md5sum /bin/ls
a237c4817e3220e1a2277096f1baab7a  /bin/ls