[NCLUG] Y2k problem in Gnu Tar still?

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Wed Feb 28 14:00:50 MST 2001

Okay, so does anybody know what the deal with this is?

tar -cvf /dev/null -N "Feb 5, 2001" .

This should only list files newer than 5 Feb 2001.  Unfortunatly, this
parses wrong and pretty much lists all of them.  Apparently, it works for
1999 and lower dates.  I have found some issues with 1.11 and I thought it
was fixed then.  However, it still operates wrong as of 1.13 downloaded
straight from gnu.org.  The above filespec stores files from 1999, and a
filespec with a year of  2002, though, it only stores the current
directory...

Anyone else know anything about this?