[NCLUG] glibc 2.2 locale issue?

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Wed Feb 28 15:47:01 MST 2001

I'm kind of grasping at straws here.

I installed the latest KRUD and now Perl is whining at me about how
I don't have my locales set up right. Luckily there's a perllocale(1)
man page that explains in more detail what Perl's whining about: I
have a locale of en_US.ISO8859-1 (this is an improvement over the
old days when us Home of the Brave types were en_US plain). When I
look in /usr/share/locale/en* that's not one of the choices.

The interesting thing is that the RPM database says that
/usr/bin/locale isn't owned by any package, whereas with good
old 6.1 RH you are told it's owned by glibc-2.1.2-11.

So: who is in charge of getting locales to work and why isn't he
doing it properly.

--
Luke Jones  luke vortex frii fullstop com