[NCLUG] Y2k problem in Gnu Tar still?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Feb 28 22:40:47 MST 2001

Well, the code again is:

  if ((0 < top_level || !incremental_option)
      && !S_ISDIR (current_stat.st_mode)
      && current_stat.st_mtime < newer_mtime_option
      && (!after_date_option || current_stat.st_ctime < newer_ctime_option))

"newer_ctime_option" is actually "newer_mtime_option".

I'm thinking that this says that the ctime is important as well as the mtime.
But it also looks like incremental_option has to be set, *OR* top_level
has to be >0.  Not sure what top_level is meant to imply -- it's not
the directory depth...

Certainly seems to not be working the way I'd expect, but in the places
where I've used '-N' it has worked fine...

 "I was just thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said
 ``I drank what?''"  -- Chris Knight, _Real_Genius_