[NCLUG] suggestions on building a box

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jan 12 18:19:23 MST 2001

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 06:07:27PM -0700, Matt Taggart wrote:
>All three have mine have been great. I had a problem with the UDMA66 busses
>that were on them but a BIOS update(which also updated the IDE BIOS) fixed
>that.

That's the thing...  It's always changing...  I've been happy recently with
Tyan Tiger boards (though I haven't used the 133).  People seem to love
ASUS, but I've had very bad luck with them in the past.  One just wouldn't
run Linux with the COAST cache module installed.  Sig 11s all the time.
The vendor would only replace the COAST module.  A P133 with no cache really
sucked.  I had several other ASUS boards that just died.  Early Tyan boards
I wasn't happy with, but later ones I have been.  With the exception of
BIOS issues, I've been fairly happy with Intel boards.

It changes from month to month though.  I hate it when vendors make changes
to their products and don't even change their model designator.  Like the
Netgear tulip boards for a while.  Yeah, you could download a driver from
their site to fix it, but did they have to post the driver in a Windows
.exe file?

 -rw-rw-rw-:  File permissions of the beast.  (Chuck Phillips)
 mknod /dev/beast c 6 66