[NCLUG] suggestions on building a box

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Sat Jan 13 07:10:26 MST 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> ... or why I don't like building boxes any more...
>
> [...]
>
> So, there's my story.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't build a box,
> I'm just giving you an alternative view.

I feel the same way, frankly. It's difficult for me to "general
contractor" the process of finding the right parts, ordering them
so they arrive at more or less the same time, and then having a half
a Saturday or a long evening to put everything together. My experience,
too, is that the price is no better.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but for my modest means, I've
found I can do pretty well buying the end-of-life $300-range boxes
from compgeek/tccomputers/onsale etc. and then spending a small
amount to upgrade (or reuse from an existing computer) the parts I
just can't stomach.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com