[NCLUG] testing internet connection

Mark C. Smith markcs at CS.ColoState.EDU
Sun Jan 14 00:38:23 MST 2001

Hello,
I'm thinking about switching over from cable modem to dsl.  It
seems as though I'm getting some pretty sorry speeds during
peak hours and I was thinking dsl might be a good alternative.
Does anyone know of a good way that I can test my line speed?
The reason I ask is because I want some good motivation before
I go through the hassle of reconfiguring my home network.  The
speed varies so much from site-to-site that I can't figure
out what I'm really getting between me and my service
privder.  For example, I get a lousy 20k/sec connected to CSU
and then get an o.k. 50k/sec from rpmfind.net.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Mark c. Smith				 Markcs at CS.ColoState.EDU
Dept. Computer Science                   http://WWW.CS.ColoState.EDU/~markcs
Colorado State University		 (970)491-5305 (work)