[NCLUG] testing internet connection

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Tue Jan 16 08:32:20 MST 2001

Thus spake Aaron D. Johnson:
> > BTW-I'm using the basic Qwest/Qwest DSL/ISP service, and for the
> > cheaper AT&T @home will probably suffice for most people...  Dealing
> > with the dynamic IP and buggy NAT is troublesome at best... :-(
>
> Just to counter some oft-heard misconceptions, AT&T's @home service
> provides a static IP and does not do NAT (at least in my neighborhood
> (Stuart and Shields in Fort Collins)).  They do set up their Windoze

 While talking to the @home phone monkeys a month or two ago, in
a vain attempt to determine availability at my house, it was
explained to me that while @home does indeed currently offer static
IP's to customers, in the near future this may not be the case.

 I was informed by them that at some point, they would cease to
offer static IP service and go forward with only DHCP (I'm assuming
someone with a clue as to scope has taken over the network planning
at @home) and any existing static IP customers would be converted
to DHCP. They could not say whether or not they would be offerring
any static service at all after that point.

 Just sharing what I discovered.

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.