[NCLUG] Temperature monitoring

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Jan 22 08:48:34 MST 2001

Thus spake Brian Stanback:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there was anything that would measure a temperature,
> remotely, and allow my Linux box to access it. I want to make a cool mrtg
> graph of our noc with it ;-)

 Jeff Moe is doing this at his house using mrtg. He's posting the results
here:

http://www.themoes.org/weather/outside_temp.html

 He used to have more info on there but it looks like's he's trimmed the
site down quite a bit.

 Writing query scripts to get info for mrtg to use is pretty simple. You
just need to provide 4 information points in a format like so:

----------------------
 127
 000
 54 day(s), 17:08,
 sousa
----------------------

 (This is sample output from one of mine which collects and graphs some load
average info). The leading space is required. You use the script instead of
the normal mrtg polling mechanism like so in the mrtg.cfg file:

Target[load]: `/home/mmike/www/load/run/mrtgload`

 The ability to use scripts like this in mrtg is detailed at the website:
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

The hard part will be querying the remote temperature sensor. :-)

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.