[NCLUG] multiple-serial port laptop?

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Tue Jan 23 10:05:06 MST 2001

Matt Taggart wrote:
> How about USB-serial? If they are fairly modern laptops both will
> have USB and then you can use multiple USB-serial adapters.

Cool. Does that work with Linux now that 2.4 has shipped?
Would I just see /dev/ttySx, x in 0..k+n-1, where k is the
number of stock serial ports and n is the number provided
by the USB-to-serial doo-dad.

> Why do you need two anyway?(I know, you could tell me but then you'd
> have to  kill me).

Standard practice is to complicate things as much as possible.
If I only had one serial port it would be a slam dunk. Actually
if you remember the application, I want to be sure there's
enough complexity to keep the sales guy humble.

--
Luke Jones  luke vortex frii fullstop com